Day one in the pool sucked. Getting in the water at 5:30 a.m was tough and uncomfortable, as I had no idea what I was doing and thought everyone in the pool knew it. I think I swam about 10 laps total, with lots of breaks. I thought I was going to drown - I'm not kidding. I warned Michael that one of my issues with swimming is that I forget to use my legs. Sure enough, that day, I was all arms. I also really struggled to go more than two strokes without coming up for air. And I mean coming up for air - I couldn't breathe and I was gasping like someone who was drowning. I was exhausted by the time we were done. It was not a good day.
Fast forward to now: after swimming two days a week, I'm feel much more comfortable in the water. Michael has been a tremendous help on everything - form, breathing, pushing my to my limits. My form is improving (still has a ways to go), I'm remember to use my legs most of the time, and my endurance is much, much better. I can alternate breathing sides and am not gasping for breath
I wear goggles, a swim cap and a one piece suit so I look like a swimmer, but I actually feel a little like a swimmer now. I have improved a lot over the past month, and I still have 4 more months to continue to improve. I have a long ways to go, and I will definitely need to practice in open water come summer but I actually think I will be able to do this.
If you had asked me at the beginning of the month, I would have said there is no way that I will be able to do the swimming portion of the tri (which makes it hard b/c it is the first part). Now, I don't feel like a poser anymore; I feel like a swimmer. Well, except for the part where Michael helps me put on my swim cap every time. Maybe I should try to learn how to do that myself...
No comments:
Post a Comment