Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Lobster

This post is going to make me sound a bit ridiculous but I don't care...

One of the things I have been fretting about for the past few weeks is my spray tan for the wedding (ridiculous, I know!). Since we are going out to the cabin first thing Thursday morning, I would need to get it Wednesday night. I am not ok with this - who knows what it would look like by Saturday. So last week, I made a decision and 5 days later, I am regretting it. I decided to go tanning bed tanning.

I vowed to NEVER tanning bed tan again about 5 years ago. It's so unhealthy, expensive, and time-consuming. I'd rather spend the same amount of money on a spray tan any day. And I've stuck to my vow through multiple weddings, events, and even two of my bridal showers this summer. But knowing - or rather not knowing - what could happen by having one done 3 days before my wedding made me break down and get a month unlimited package at a local salon.

Does anyone remember back in the late 90s (when everyone tanned) and it was $19.99? Well, my month was $65 in the most basic bed plus tax. Final total = $81!!! What the crap!? I guess the government really wants people to stop using tanning beds...

Anyways, I started off really easy (anyone who has seen me this summer knows I am Taylor Swift pale right now) and only went 8 minutes. And I forgot how much I liked tanning (I sound like a smoker right now): the warm feeling when you get out of the bed, the smell, etc. I was super happy with my decision day 1. I waited 2 days, then went another 8 minutes. All good. I left warm, smelly, and happy again.

Today, after a 2 day hiatus, I bumped it up to 10 minutes. BIG MISTAKE! My whole body is fried! Well, actually, my whole body from my boobs down is fried. I don't know why my upper chest didn't get burnt but I look like a lobster right now. I swear they must have just changed the bulbs or something. I have hardly been able to sit down most of the day and of course, we are going to a Twins game tonight. That will be fun for me. I'm aloe-d up but I am not sure how I will put on jeans for the game tonight.

So, tanning bed Gods, I've learned my lesson: I am not meant to tan in a tanning bed. But if you could just look the other way for the next 25 days and let me get some decent color before my big day, I'd be grateful. After that, I swear I'll never use a bed again.

2 comments:

Lauren Overholser said...

Jenni- this post made me laugh! I had the SAME problem at my wedding. I also broke down and used a tanning bed a couple of times prior to heading out to Georgia but I did some research first. It's totally worth paying a little extra to use the "safer" beds. I used one that did a body scan first to measure the melanin in my skin. It was a 10 minute bed and depending on the scan results it adjusted the bulbs to prevent any burning. If they have one in San Antonio, Texas I'm positive you can find one in MN. It's so not worth burning to a crisp just for one day! Hope this unsolicited advice helps :)

Jenni said...

Thanks Lauren! I can hardly sit down right now. I really should take a picture of my leg to show you how insanely burned I am. And the sides of my legs are totally white. Michael literally said "Oh my God! What happened to you?!"