Today, Taylor wants us all to share our top two tips on anything. Mine are pretty short, but I think good tips nonetheless.
Tipping in a Restaurant
I worked as a server for four years and one of the things I hated most was when people asked me how much they should tip me. Talk about awkward! So do not ask them that, and instead, follow my method below for all those out there who struggle with tipping.
If you are set on tipping 15%, the easiest way is to take 10% of the total bill by moving the decimal point one spot to the left (so for $34.00, 10% is 3.40). Then divided that by 2 ($3.40/2=$1.80) and add that to your 10% ($5.20). It's also obviously really easy to get to 20% ($3.40x2 = $6.80). That wasn't so hard, right?!
And if you REALLY are not a math person, here's an even easier cheat sheet:
$0-$10 = $2.00
$11-$20 = $4.00
$21-$30 = $6.00
$31-$40 = $8.00
$41-$50 = $10.00
and so on.
Just remember that most servers' hourly wages are low - minimum wage or less (in ND, I did made $3.45 an hour!) - so be kind to them and let them know you appreciated your hard work. I know there are some really awful servers out there, but most of us enjoy the work and want our customers to be happy, so please make them happy too.
How to shop at a Farmer's Markets
- Only bring $20. The more cash you bring, the more you will spend.
- Walk through the whole market before you spend any money. Write down the things that looked good.
- Don't be afraid to ask for samples. They want to make the sale.
- Don't be afraid to ask for a deal if you are out of money. I once got a loaf of bread for $3 instead of $4 because I only had $3 left. Again, they want to make the sale.
- Bring your own reusable grocery bag.

No comments:
Post a Comment