I met Becky and JB in the summer of 2008 through my good friend and old coworker, Corey. Corey and JB worked for their fraternity for two years and are the best of friends (Corey was the Best Man). Becky and I have done numerous girls' nights with Lara and Allie when they lived in Chicago (they've now turned into lunches and So You Think You Can Dance watch parties with just the two of us), and I spent several fall Saturdays over the past few years on their couch watching college football with JB and Corey.
One of the things I admire most about these two is that they spent eight months in Nicaragua in 2007-2008 volunteering to help those who needed it. Yes, volunteered. Read - no paycheck for eight months (which ended up being ten for both of them). JB taught conversational English to children, while Becky worked with women on domestic violence issues, women's rights, etc. The two of them raised money to cover their living costs and donate to the local community. When they left in late spring 2008, the school had a roof, windows, doors, and furniture. Their contributions to their community were great, and definitely more than just improvements to the local school. I hope to volunteer for an underserved community in another country someday, and Becky and JB are a great inspiration to everyone to give back to those who need it. They are a great couple and I was so happy to be part of their big day.
| Picture just before the ceremony began. We were under a tent for the ceremony, which was so nice because it was hot and sunny! |
| Corey, the Best Man. His speech had everyone in fits of laughter and tears of happiness. I told him he should be a speech writer because it was the best Best Man speech I've ever heard. |
| JB saying his vows to Becky. |
| They are married! |
Sunday morning after brunch (omelette station = yummy!), we hit the road for a long road trip back to Chicago. The road trip itself was fine, but the traffic in Chicago was awful. My car read 100 degrees at 2:30 and it was a gross, humid day. I was happy to be home just after 3 that afternoon. After that, it was a pretty low key afternoon/evening: DVRed, watched the Emmys (Jen and I did picks and I won!), and Skyped with Michael, who is in Canada on a family vacation. Once again, I thank the creator of Skype for his/her creation so Michael and I could communicate :-) Only four more sleeps until I see him and six until I see my family!
Happy Monday!
No comments:
Post a Comment