My parents were able to visit over Memorial Day weekend - yay! The weather proved to be a bit of a challenge, but hey, that's how it goes when the Glicks try to plan a get together.
On Friday, M took a flying lesson (did I mention he's doing this? Very cool!) and his lesson ended just as my parents landed. Perfect timing! We went to
Portillo's for lunch - yummy - and then went back to my place. My dad was sick the whole weekend so he took a nap while M, my mom, and I hung out. That night, we went to dinner at
Morton's. Despite them not getting my steak right after several tries, it was a very enjoyable dinner and we had a great time. We also tried a wonderful new Pinot Noir - if you find
Fiddlestix and you are a fan of red wine, I highly recommend it!
 |
| Mom and Dad at dinner |
 |
| M and I at dinner. |
Saturday was a lazy day. My dad was feeling pretty lousy, though he was a really good sport, so we went to
Whole Foods for lunch. I am going to miss the 75,000 square Whole Foods in Lincoln Park when I move. It's so unbelievably huge and I could spend hours (and hundreds of dollars) in there. Dad slept for a few hours in the afternoon so Mom and I talked, read, and relaxed. Michael had spent the day in Evanston for some stuff for school so he came down that night. Then we went to pick up our rental bikes for the next morning - more on that below - which was not an easy task but we did it. Thank you LOML for driving a truck!!! We ordered some yummy
Lou Malnatis for dinner and went to bed early because we had an early day Sunday.
Sunday, we participated in
Bike the Drive. Bike the Drive is one of the largest car-free bike rides in the U.S. Every year on the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend, the city of Chicago shuts down Lake Shore Drive, one of the busiest and most-traveled roadways in Chicago and allows bike riders of all ages to come out and enjoy a peaceful morning bike ride, free of cars. We woke up at 6 and were on the road by 7am. I happen to live on one of the streets that serves as a checkpoint so we just biked a mile to Lake Shore, and then hopped on. It was so easy! The weather was foggy, cool, and humid, but it was tranquil and actually a lot of fun. We biked more than 20 miles before 9am, then dropped off our rental bikes, and hopped on the El to go back to my place.
 |
| Dad and Mom on Bike the Drive |
 |
| Me and Michael |
 |
| I love my active parents! |
 |
| Group shot on my iPhone |
After a hearty breakfast of bagels, eggs, and bacon, we were all beat. We napped, read, and laid around for a few hours. It started to pour outside and everyone was too tired to do anything so Michael and I decided to start of favorite rainy day project: a puzzle. I didn't think either of my parents would want to do one so we figured we'd just work on it for awhile and then quit. But my parents joined right in and we worked on that sucker for 6 hours - and didn't finish! It was a really hard one!
 |
| We got this far on Sunday. |
My parents considered leaving that day because of the weather but decided to stay. We ordered some Chinese and crashed early.
Monday morning we woke up early to bring my parents to the airport. Despite the nice weather in Chicago yesterday, they had to deal with MN and ND weather on their trip home. Luckily, the weather cooperated and my dad is an awesome pilot so they made it home safe and sound. I went shopping while M hung out with some friends that morning/afternoon. M had a few free rentals at Red Box so we watched Harry Potter 7 Part 1 while we worked on the puzzle again for awhile and snacked on all of our leftovers. Then we watched Tangled - super cute movie I highly recommend. Once we finished that, we went back to the puzzle. After 3 hours of work on Monday, we finished!!!
Overall, it was a great weekend and I am so glad I got to see my parents. Can't wait to be home in ND in 3 weeks! Woohoo!
19 days until we move - can't believe it's almost here!
No comments:
Post a Comment