Wednesday, September 14, 2011

MN Lynx Game

Last Thursday, Michael and I had a date night at the MN Lynx game. He could get discounted tickets through work so, knowing how much I like basketball, he asked me if we should go. I had never been to a WNBA game before but I said it sounded like fun so off we went.

The Lynx have the best record in the WNBA this year, and were 13-3 at home before our game. The game we went to happened to be the last regular home game of the season and it was fan appreciation night. They showed funny bloopers, videos, promos, etc from the year, and bought back a cheesy but hilarious halftime show of women in the 60s and older dancing to Katy Perry. Not surprisingly, the fans were really into the game. The people behind us kept referring to the player on a first name basis, saying "Lindsay, Simone, and Maya" like they knew them on a personal basis. It made me smile because 1. I know I used to do the same thing and 2. They probably do because the fan base and players are a tight knit group. That's just how women's basketball fans are. Nearly all of the women play or played ed at some sort of level, and the men enjoy watching good, competitive basketball (unlike the boring NBA).

Being at the game reminded me just how much I really enjoy watching basketball live, and especially women's bball. I never missed a home game when my sister Jami played in college, and I went to several games at my grad school in OH. I hadn't been to a game in years, but it felt really nice to be back in a crowd of people that genuinely love the game of bball and appreciate the talent that women bring to the court.

The WNBA is a lot different from the NBA and for that, I am grateful. I find the NBA extremely boring. The WNBA is much more like college basketball (on both the men's and women's sides), where teams run actual plays and there are few ball hogs.

The playoffs start on Friday and Michael and I may catch another game if we can in the coming weeks. GO LYNX!

View from our seats. They were $15!

Lindsay Whalen. MVP candidate and a MN hometown hero. She's like the Joe Mauer of the Lynx. I used to watch her in college and she is REALLY talented.


The hilarious halftime show. I should have taken a video. These women were shaking it and it was hilarious!

Lynx win!

No comments: