Since Michael and I got married nearly 5 months ago, I keep getting emails from “The Nest,” which is basically the married version of The Knot (there is also “The Bump” for when you are preggo). The emails are often newsletter-style, with six or so article titles and accompanying pictures on things like “How to keep your marriage sexy,” “How to decorate your dining room,” “Easy entertaining recipes” and crap like that (can you tell how I really feel about them?). Very rarely do I ever even click on them but there are some occasional headlines that grab my attention (or make me laugh) and I take a look.
Last week, there was one article titled “10 things you should know how to do before you turn 30.” Since I turn 30 in soon, I thought "Hey, this list could be interesting." Below is their list and how I did:
Make and keep a budget
I have been keeping a budget since I finished graduate school. And now that we are planning housing renovations, M and I are being extra vigilant about our budget.
Cook a signature dish
I feel like I am the most on top of this one. I have about 20 signature dishes, and my friends who know me well know that I am a good cook and baker. I love being in the kitchen and my signature dishes are usually not too hard (though they are often time consuming) so if you’re ever looking for some good recipes, let me know.
Write professionally
Like cooking, I feel good about this one. I am a good writer and I write professionally all the time - for my school magazine, in our solicitations, etc. Writing just comes naturally to me.
Not part with hard-earned cash
In my early 20s, I was a spender. Now that I am older, I really do have a much harder time spending my hard-earned money. I have been eyeing a purse for almost two years and while we have the money, I just can’t bring myself to pull the trigger. I'd rather have a cool vase for my house. Or save for new flooring in my bathroom.
Change a flat tire
I can absolutely not do this, nor do I ever really intend to learn how to do this. My independent brain is saying “You’re a fake” but my practical self is saying “Yeah right, Jenni…” I believe when I was in drivers ed in HS, my dad just signed the piece of paper saying he taught me how to fix a tire and that was it. He knew just as well as I did that that would probably never happen.
Look up your credit report
I do know how to do this and I have analyzed mine recently (since the house purchase). Not only was mine accurate but my score was good too!
Manage your money
This is something we are really working on right now and have spent a bunch of time on since we got married. Between our mortgage, insurances of all sorts, retirements, ROTHs, etc. there is just a lot to manage. Such is life! I am happy to say that, other than our mortgage and Michael’s car loan, we are completely debt free! We paid off our wedding expenses as they came, we have no student debt, and my car is paid off. We feel pretty lucky to be able to say that.
Swim
Can I swim? Yes. Am I a good swimmer? Eh. But being married to a former high school swim captain will help me become a better swimmer.
Move on
Oh, how I wish I could back to my early and mid-20s and tell myself this! I had the hardest time moving on from things sometimes – breakups, lost friendships, hurt feelings, etc. It’s so not worth it. I feel like I am better at moving on now that I am nearly 30.
Work/Life Balance
I would pretty much echo my last statement for this one – I am much better about this now. My first salaried job left me little work/life balance and it led me to a completely different career. I am so glad it happened because my work/life balance is really good now, and I work at a place that not just believes in it but lives it.
Total = 9/10
I still have 2 months until I turn 30. Any other recommendations of things I need to know how to do before I turn 30?
No comments:
Post a Comment