On Sunday night, Michael and I went to an event for a local children's performance group. We assumed it was going to be a fundraiser going into it, but it was probably one of the hardest "sells" for a fundraiser I've ever experienced.
Following a four hour program with silent auction, dinner, and performances by the kids (and they were good), the emcee started his schpeel: "Who's going to stand up and support YPC? Who's going to stand up and give $1,000?" When no one stood up right away, he asked again. And again. And again and again. It was 45 seconds until someone finally stood up and committed to giving $1,000. Then the emcee moved on to $500, $250, $100, and any amount of money at all. It went on like this for 15 minutes. And the whole time, they had the performers (ages 12-18) racing around the ballroom, grabbing the pledge forms and checks and rushing them to the stage.
I've been to my fair share of fundraisers in my life - I do work in the fundraising world, after all - and that was the worst ever. To see those kids be exploited like that broke my heart. To see that emcee up there try so hard for what seemed like an eternity to get someone to give $1,000 made me feel uncomfortable and embarrassed for him. It was all just so awkward...
It helped me realize just how uncomfortable I am with the hard sell concept of fundraising (heck, there is a lot about fundraising that makes me uncomfortable). I am so glad that we do not do an event like that at my job.
Anyone else ever been to a fundraiser and felt uncomfortable about the way they do the ask? I think I'll take a break from attending fundraisers for awhile...
No comments:
Post a Comment