Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Wedding Wednesday: Engagement Counseling


As an engagement gift, Michael’s parents gave us engagement counseling. Michael’s mom suggested working with Adrienne Larson, who calls herself “The Engagement Coach.” As you know, we are not getting married in a church so going through counseling with a religious leader didn't really make sense to us. Adrienne seemed like a good option so we moved forward with it.

While some people might think this is a weird gift, we were actually pretty excited about it. We agreed that it would probably be nothing but helpful and we went into it with open minds.

In addition to sharing our dating history and current lifestyle, we each took a “prepare and enrich” survey between our first and second session that helped us identify separately and together our areas of strength and improvement. We talked about a lot of relationship issues, from communication and raising kids to how we fight and our “wish lists” for improving our relationships.

We met with her four times over the course of three months and just finished our last session this week. We do have the option of using a free “follow up” for a year after the wedding, which I think we will.

Adrienne was great. She’s under 40 and married herself, so she could relate to us much better, than say a Catholic priest who’s never been married. She was smart, kind, funny, non-judgmental, and easy to talk to. And best of all, she really got Michael and I to talk to each other during our sessions vs talk to her.

If you or anyone you know if looking for any type of couples counseling (she does marriage counseling too), I highly recommend looking into meeting with Adrienne.

80 days!

I am not getting paid for this post. I simply really enjoyed working with Adrienne and wanted to share my thoughts about my experience.

No comments: