Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Wedding Wednesday: Hey Mr DJ, Put a Record On


Ok, so I’m not walking down the aisle to Madonna (you know you just sang this in your head).

Most little girls hear the song “Here Comes the Bride” and envision themselves walking down the aisle one day to meet their Prince Charming. I was certainly one of those girls. I probably have watched 100-something movies with weddings in them (and my all-time favorite movie is wedding-based) and my music choice for my walk down the aisle has evolved. In fact, a lot of what I thought about weddings has evolved over the years. 10 years ago, I wanted a church wedding with very classic music like Pacabel’s Canon in D. Fast-forward to 2012 and my wedding tastes and musical choices have shifted.

We are not getting married in a church and therefore, we can pick whatever music we want to play at our wedding. This is a blessing and a curse b/c we have so many choices! I am a pretty classic person, but I also like to think of myself as modern as well. Therefore, our ceremony music will be on the modern end of things.

I scoured blogs and websites for ideas for music and then listened to endless versions of things on Youtube. I don’t want to give away all my music selections but I will share one. The processional will begin with guys coming out from the side, and the grandparents and Michael’s parents walking down the aisle. For this, we have selected the Theme from Forest Gump. The feeling of this song is very wedding-y to me, but still rings true to my modern thought on music.



The rest of the music has mostly been decided. Pre-ceremony will have most of the classics – Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, etc. – and then we’ll go a little bit modern and untraditional for the processional. There will only be one song during the ceremony, which is modern, and the recessional song is also modern. We have our first dance song selected (also modern), but I still need to come up with the Do Not Play List (already on it: All of the “Slides,” Macarena, Hokey Pokey, etc.) and a Must Play List (so far, Michael has requested “Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy” :-) while I would love "At Last" to be played). We also need to talk with our DJ about the music played during the cocktail hour.

Who knew there were so many decisions to make regarding music?!

2 comments:

Lauren Overholser said...

It's clear Michael and I are related, "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" was one of my favs in college. In fact if I've had a few cocktails I will no doubt break out a few choice choreographed moves. Not to worry, it's mostly family-friendly :)

Excited for the celebration!

Jenni said...

Lauren - Can't wait to see the dance moves!!!