It’s going to
take me a few weeks to do recap the wedding. It would be way too long to put into one
post. Today, I’ll cover Thursday and Friday’s events.
Thursday
Michael and I
got up ran early on Thursday morning, then I headed to the cabin with his dad
and he went to work for a few hours. We were at the cabin by 9 since we were
told that the tent set up guys would be there around 9 or 10. Well, they didn’t
show up until 2. I was pretty annoyed, mostly b/c I made sure I was there in
time and would have loved a few more hours at home to get things ready. Once
they arrived, they were efficient and really nice. They were gone by 5 and I
pretty much spent the entire time watching them set up. It was fun to see
backyard as a blank canvas, then transform with the tents. Based on some trees
in the backyard, we had three different tents, but I thought they blended
together pretty well. It was kind of like having “rooms” and I liked that vs
having one giant tent.
 |
| Before the tent |
 |
| Setting up |
 |
| That would be the roof of the main tent |
 |
| Roof up on one of the side tents |
 |
| Getting closer to being done |
 |
| I love this view from inside before anything else was in there. |
 |
| All of the tents are up! |
 |
| After the tents were up but before the sidewalls were put on. |
I had been
checking the weather report for the past week (ok, three weeks) and today, I
noticed a new prediction for Saturday: wind. A lot of wind. They were predicting
gusts of 20-30 mph. I immediately starting hoping that would go down (spoiler
alert – it didn’t).
My family arrived
that afternoon as the tent guys were finishing up. My parents and Jami had
stopped by the tuxedo rental place to try on and pick up my dad and nephew’s tuxes.
Michael had been there at the same time with two of the groomsmen so they all
got to meet. Michael and our best man, Patrick, arrived at the cabin in the
late afternoon and everyone relaxed by the lake before the delicious lasagna
dinner prepared by my parents. Then we had a fire and some smores. It was a nice,
low-key night.
 |
| Hanging out by the lake |
 |
| Jami and Kynleigh |
 |
| Self-portrait time! |
My nephew Kaden LOVED the lake. He could not get enough of it. He just kept wanting to wade in and pick up rocks and throw them. Unfortunately it was a bit cold so we had to take him out after awhile and he did not enjoy that.
 |
| My dad and Kaden |
 |
| Dad pointing out something |
 |
| Precious |
 |
| Auntie also spent time with Kaden down by the lake |
Friday
My mom, sisters,
Michael and I went on an early morning walk before the decorating began. The
tent decorating crew arrived around 9:30am and while they got to work on the
lighting and draping, the rest of us did some decorating – hanging signs,
placing wine barrels, arranging tables and chairs, setting up tables in the
garage and inside to save time the next day, etc. It did not take nearly as
long as I thought it would, which was nice. The lighting and draping, however, took the entire day. No wonder it had to be done on different days!
As the day went on, it got cooler
and cooler. And windier and windier. By the time the afternoon rolled around
and we had the rehearsal, we were zipping through it so we could go back
inside. We worked out a few kinks during the rehearsal and then it was time for
the rehearsal dinner. All of Michael’s family and most of mine joined us in a
town about 20 minutes away for the rehearsal dinner. We hosted the dinner at a
golf club and the chef there was really accommodating to our group. We were
able to have the whole restaurant to ourselves and he let us plan the entire
menu. Michael’s parents had come up with the idea of having a “family” theme
early on and we all liked it. We gave the chef several family recipes and he
made them for the dinner, then we gave away recipe cards with all of them. It
was fun to see the blending of two families in this way. For the main dish, we
had a pig roast and it was quite good. It was a bit unconventional but a lot of
fun. Unfortunately, we didn't get much for pictures. Thanks to my uncle Christoph for taking the few we have!
 |
| The pig |
 |
| Michael's cousin Lauren handing off the bud vase to us. It is supposed to sit on my nightstand throughout the first year of our marriage. Each month on our anniversary date, Michael is supposed to out a fresh flower in the vase. This tradition and vase have been in Michael's family for 42 years. |
 |
| Only picture we got together the whole night. At least it's a good one :-) |
Next week, I’ll
talk more about the big day!
No comments:
Post a Comment