Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Nedrose

Today, I read this post on via a friend's Facebook. I was immediately transformed back to my elementary school years, and there were so many things in the post that resonated with me: the scooters and parachute in gym class, square pizza at lunch, Koolbursts and Pushups, math lessons using computer programs, floppy disks, book orders, and that awful feeling when the teacher turned on the lights after a movie or film strip (yes, we watched film strips – I am that old). But more so than just memories of being a kid, the idea of being a kid at my elementary school came back to me.

Nedrose, my school, is a small, township school with about 220 students in grades K-8. My biggest class was 30, my smallest 18, and everyone literally knew everyone. As a kindergartner  I idolized the 8th grade cheerleaders and when I was an 8th grade cheerleader myself, I made it a point to know every kindergarten girl's name.

Nedrose was a place where you could do it all: play basketball, be a cheerleader, star in the school play, be on the Math team or play in the chess tournament, sing in the choir and play an instrument in the band, be part of an art show, and so many more things. There were so few kids that you were pretty much friends with everyone, there wasn't any bullying, and we all, for the most part, got along. We loved our teachers and they loved us right back.

Nedrose was much more than a school to me. It was like an extension of my family. I was in classes with the same kids year after year - there were 5 of us who were in every single class together from K-8. My grandfather and father went to the school. I had at least one sister there with me the entire time I was there. My grandma taught at the school and was my teacher, twice: first grade and sixth grade.

I remember graduating in 8th grade and moving on to the city high school. My class jumped from 26 to 500 something. Don’t get me wrong – I loved high school (yes, I know not many people did but I did) but if Nedrose would have had a high school, I would have loved every second of it. It was a special place.

My sister and brother-in-law recently moved back to ND and live in the Nedrose school district. My nephew will probably start Kindergarten there in 2 years. I am excited to go back to the school and see how it’s changed since I left 15 years ago. I wonder if they still do the Kindergarten program to Raffy songs…

No comments: