If you have been reading my blog over the past three months, you have seen me mention on a few occasions that Michael and I are training for a triathlon. We have both been interested in doing this for years and had actually planned on doing it last summer, but our lives were pretty busy with the wedding. So we decided this year is it – we’re doing it! We are registered the Lifetime Tri Minneapolis on Saturday, July 13. We are doing the sprint tri - .25 mile swim, 15 mile bike, and 5K run.
We started swimming back in February so that I could get a better handle on it, as I am NOT a swimmer. We also have been running and attending a spin classes. Starting last week, our official training began and I'm going to share with you each week.
I researched sprint tri training programs and put together our schedule based on what I read, as well as what people have told me and my gut. So far, we have been faithful to the schedule, though we have had to shift a few days here and there to accommodate our schedules. For the swim, I’m included my training, not Michael’s. He’s going to fly through the swim so he’s just doing what feels good to him, usually about 1200 yards per practice.
Week 1 - last week
Monday = off
Tuesday = run 20 minutes – we actually went 30
Wednesday = bike 35 minutes
Thursday = off (was supposed to be Friday but flip flopped days)
Friday = swim – 100 yard warm up, 150 yards easy, 4x100 yards with 30 sec rest, 50 yard cool down
Saturday = bike 25 minutes (was supposed to be Sunday but flip flopped days)
Sunday = run 20 minutes
Week 2 - this week
Monday = off (I did a yoga sculpt class)
Tuesday = run 25 minutes
Wednesday = bike 40 minutes
Thursday = swim - 100 yard warm up, 200 yards easy, 4x100 yards with 20 sec rest, 50 yard cool down
Friday = off
Saturday = run 25 minutes
Sunday = bike 40 minutes
So far, the workouts are going great. But as the weeks go on, the minutes/yards increase, and we start Bricks (biking, immediately followed up running) on Memorial Day. Everyone I have talked to has said that is the hardest part of the tri – transitioning from biking to running –so we have a brick a week schedule for 6 weeks of training. The workouts are definitely going to get harder!
We have invested in some gear already too:
- Tri shorts - These spandex are a must. You need something that will not drag during the swim, will dry quickly during the bike and provide padding, and won’t chaffe during the run.
- Race number belt – they provide safety pins but everyone said to get a belt to make the transition easy and fast – they were only $8 so seems worth it to me.
- Ankle strap for timing chip – again, they provide one but it’s a one size fit all model and I have talked to people who said they are really uncomfortable – drag during the swim, move up and down on the bike and run. Ours velco on so you can adjust the width to your personal comfort level. $5 investment so NBD.
I still need to figure out my top for race day (Michael is swimming in just bottoms, then throwing on a sleeveless running top for the rest). I ordered a tank that is supposed to work for all three but I’m afraid it will drag a lot during the swim. It's pretty loose on the bottom and really tight in the chest so I can't go down a size (I had to order it in Tall too so it was long enough). Now I’m trying to decide if I should wear that tank, find another one, or just wear a bikini top/sports bra and throw a tank over it for the bike/run. At least Athleta lets you return things after you wear them so I’m going to try to the tank on an open water swim in a few weeks (let’s home the water is warm by then!) and see what happens.
If you’re in Minneapolis on July 13, come cheer us on!
No comments:
Post a Comment