Soap box time, blog readers. And to my friends who have already had weddings and I was there, this is not a slam on any of you or your weddings. I love you and I loved your wedding.
I have been in and attended quite a few weddings over the past five years. In fact, I’ve been in seven and been to nearly 20. And each time, I have loved what the
My friends who are married did some of these things years ago and I’m still seeing them on blogs as “new, creative ideas for…” Um, hello?! Hey bloggers – get some new ideas! Or read the archives of other wedding blogs and you will see your so-called “new idea” has been around for years.
Don't get me wrong - there are lots of trends I love and plan to use at my wedding: one-shouldered gown, outdoor ceremony, tented reception, and a "first-look" to name a few. But sometimes, it's time for trends to be just that - a trend - and not become "the norm."
Here are my top three wedding trends I wish would go into retirement. After all, if my friends did these a year or five ago, then they are not so new anymore.
Rustic and Vintage
If I hear or read these words one more time, I may rip my hair out. Hey brides - just because you’re planning an outdoor ceremony or reception does NOT mean you have to have a wedding labeled vintage or rustic. Also, just because you incorporate burlap does not mean your wedding is vintage or rustic.
Honestly, I think I'm probably on my own on this one, as I have seen SO many blog posts about the bride who wanted the “vintage and rustic” wedding. They all have the same stuff – antique typewriters on an aged dresser, birdcages, and throwback glass Coca-Cola bottles – for their ceremony and reception. I hope a new theme catches on soon…
Mason Jars
I loved when my friend Steph utilized mason jars last fall as décor and favors. I thought it was so cute and quite honestly, original. In fact, my friend Kristen and I even tied this idea into her bridal shower. Fast-forward 10 months and I see this trend everywhere. Stop claiming this is an original idea, people! I saw it first hand nearly a year ago and I follow you on Pinterest; I saw all your pins about these. Bright side – Steph must feel very flattered, as she was ahead of the times :-)
The Basket of Flip Flops for “Dancing Shoes.”
I’ll admit – every time this is an option at a wedding, I get excited because it is SO nice to have this option. My feet are usually ready for a break from my heels so grabbing some Old Navy flips flops and throwing them on feels like heaven. But this is not a new trend. Michael’s mom thought this was “the greatest thing ever” at his cousin’s wedding in Oct. I told her I’ve been to three weddings that have done this, and the first was in 2007. As much as I want this to retire, I have a feeling that Michael’s mom may just do this herself for our wedding because she wants it so badly.
What other wedding trends you are seeing that you wish would go into retirement? Or are there some trends you wish would come back OUT of retirement? Let me know so I make sure I do or do not have them at my wedding.
101 days!





.jpg)

1 comment:
I hear you sister! I saw so many things on Pinterest before my wedding and wanted to throw up because I hated that so many "themes" didn't feel like a wedding. It was like a secluded party in the woods, which was weird. I think the most important thing when thinking about your theme is to be who you are and incorporate that into your day.
I thought of the mason jars early on because my grandma who is no longer with me canned EVERYTHING and there were old jars all around the farm we practically grew up on. Then on top of that I wanted to give away drinking jars because my dad always had them growing up and I always wanted to use them. I still see a drinking jar and think of my dad :) So for us it was a fun way for me to incorporate thoughts of my grandma on our day with something that totally fit out venue.
I think you just inspired my next blog post :)
Love you! Can't wait to see what you're wedding is like :)
Post a Comment